The Problem with Plastic
WALT use reference books/tools. WALT use appropriate skills and technologies to find and use a range of texts for specific purposes (assessment task)
Plastic Fantastic SJ 2007:3:3
Accidental Plastics Connected SJ Level 4 2013
You may be able to find others to help you complete your research.
You can present your learning on a google doc (this one) or a presentation. PLEASE link your presentation onto this document.
What do you need to research?
The big question: WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH PLASTIC?
You should find information about these questions?
- What is plastic?
Plastics are made out of petrochemicals. Most plastics can be moulded and last just about forever.
- Why is it a problem for the environment?
Even though the plastics get broken down, thier not gone. In this broken down state, it just makes it easier to get into soil, lakes, and rivers. In other words, the environment. It also makes it easier to get into sea creature’s digestive systems.
- What facts can you find about the amount of plastic we use, how it is made, how it breaks down?
- The average time for a plastic bottle to be broken down is at least 450 years.
- Some plastic bottles take 1000 years to break down!
- Enough plastic is throw away each year to circle the world four times.
- The average American throws away 84 kilograms of plastic each!
- The materials used in the production of plastics are natural products, but when they get thrown back into the environment they are much worse.
- Plastics are made out of crude oil.
- Create a glossary of at least 5 technical words used in your research.
5 words that plastic is made of.
- Perspex- a strong transparent plastic that can be used instead of glass in doors, windows, etc…
- Formica- a hard plastic used for covering surfaces.
- Teflon- used to prevent food from sticking to pans.
- Vinyl- a strong plastic used for making different things.
- Polystyrene- a light substance used to prevent fragile things breaking in boxes.
- Create a bibliography of resources you have used to present your answers to this question.